Friday 9 March 2007

My new favourite quote #5.

How could I bring myself to be a Conservative? They offer me neither food nor drink- neither intellectual nor spiritual consolation. I should not be amused or excited or edified. That which is common to the atmosphere, the mentality, the view of life of- well, I will not mention names- promotes neither my self-interest nor the public good. It leads nowhere; it satisfies no ideal; it conforms to no intellectual standard; it is not even safe, or calculated to preserve from spoilers that degree of civilisation which we have already attained.

- John Maynard Keynes, 1925. Keynes was speaking about the Conservatives in the inter-war period, but let's face it could very well be speaking about them now. Intellectually, morally and spiritually bankrupt. Compassionate conservatism is an oxymoron and well they know it.

No comments: