Monday 16 April 2007

Bothering The Fourth Estate.

The Herald decided to print my latest offering of one of my many potshots at the Union, details below:

Word power

Speaking of long words, I too await a day. The day when the antidisestablishmentarians of the Unionist parties in Scotland get their comeuppance. Not long now, I suppose.


I'm not in the habit of using ridiculous verbosity normally (honest), but it was a response to the following letter:


Count on it

Your previous correspondents (Letters, April 6 and 8) have come up with the usual suggestions for the longest word in English.

But anyone with a Chambers dictionary and too much time on their hands can find a word 16 letters longer, as I am afraid I did a long time ago.

Though I have never been able to slip it into conversation, I await the day with relish when I meet a person with a lung disease caused by inhaling fine silicate or quartz dust so that I can say: "Ah, you must have pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis."


And you thought my letter was tenous...

And for posterity, the link to the paper, http://www.theherald.co.uk/mostpopular.var.1329112.mostviewed.points_of_view.php

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

And there was me thinking you were an academic with too much time on his hands! It all makes perfect sense now...

niall said...

You're just upset because I had to explain what the big word meant to you!

Anonymous said...

what a pair of nerds.

Anonymous said...

I was falling asleep during your so-called "explanation". Your "explanation" missed my point which is that you are a sad, sad man to spend your time writing utterly pointless letters to the papers. Pure **** (make up your own mind) (in fact don't, it begins with W and descibes you're press persona). Now you've got me writing pointless comments on your blog! See what you're making me do?

Sorry, a bit fiery there due to you having dragged me into this conversation and me being lumped in with you, as a nerd, by Naomi. The shame!

Anyway, you all going to the electric cabaret in the fruitmarket on 5 May? Good bands, DJs, cabaret etc...

niall said...

I'll take advice on explanations from you when you learn the difference between your and you're! And I'm afraid I'll be in the sunny Big Smoke on the 5th May sadly. NERD!

Anonymous said...

The shame! It was late, and I'd been drinking. My pet had also just died.