Friday 1 February 2008

Revolving.

I was at the National Archives in Kew yesterday where upon I found that the main revolving door was shut and no apparent way of getting in. I knocked on the side door to which one of the guards eventually let me in. I asked him why the revolving door was shut and he answered "It's been too windy." TOO WINDY?! It was designed to withstand storms and wind for crying out loud! The beauty in the revolving door is that it is silent, keeps the noise and wind and rain out of the building and offers an elegant solution to stormy weather invading indoors. The only thing I can think of is that the revolving door they have at the NA is electronic and therefore was suffering some sort of malfunction in the stormy weather. Which in itself is ridiculous. You take a foolproof way of ensuring a steady flow of people are able to get in and out of the building at will and add the 'need' for electricity to it for no real reason - it reminds me of the time in Perth when Stagecoach (who are based in the Fair City and run by the fragrant Ann Gloag and Brian Souter*), it is rumoured, 'persuaded' the council to replace many of its roundabouts with traffic lights and designated bus lanes to ensure a steady flow of traffic and access (for the buses). I'm all for public transport, but the roundabout is probably the most simple and sophisticated form of traffic management there is and it was co-opted for no good reason causing all sorts of unnecessary difficulties in trying to get through Perth. Much like trying to get into the National Archives! Honestly, why take a perfectly good working existing system and change it about for no good reason? Change for change's sake it would appear.

* Yes I know Brian Souter is a donor to the SNP. No I still don't like him.

No comments: