Wednesday 27 February 2008

It's been a while.

I've not blogged for a wee while now, not because I didn't have anything to say you understand, just because I've been busy. I inadvertently wiped all my work from the PRO off my computer by overwriting it with data from my old computer so I had to go redo all the work again. Bah. Oh well, that learned me good.

But on to a different subject. If I was a betting man, and I'm not, I think I'd wait for whoever it is that gets elected as the Democrat nomination for the US presidency and with the resulting bounce for them, then put my money on John McCain when his odds get lengthened for a short while. I just can't see the US electing either a black man or a woman to the highest office in the land against a Vietnam veteran and former POW. Don't get me wrong, nothing would please me more (in respect of US politics) to see a Democrat elected, irrespective of their gender or race, but I can't see it. I guess the beauty in US politics is that you always get suckered into hoping that something good will happen. Like last time round, there was what was reported as a groundswell of opinion against GWB that people, at least over here in the UK, thought Kerry had a genuine chance of getting in. We all know what happened there, albeit Kerry didn't help himself by not choosing Wes Clark as his running mate which gave the Republicans the chance to pin their 'war credentials' of being an administration that was in the middle of a war (of their own making of course) firmly to the ballot sheets.

The point of all this in relation to my thoughts on Obama and Clinton? As always, it is the older white guys running the show. Say what you like about Michael Moore, and let's face it we all have, but he had a point. Clinton and Obama are on a hiding to nothing unless one of them can pull something big out of the bag. Even then, they have it all to do. I just can't see either of them getting elected. McCain will get one term (due to his age), probably get through an amended immigration bill that he has supported, giving something like 12m immigrants votes in the US (primarily Latin Americans), before getting footed out the door by a few more NeoCons. They will by that point have convinced Jeb Bush that being president isn't such a bad job and that a family dynasty might be the way to go after all. A large number of those extra Latin American votes will likely go to a fluent Spanish speaking, newly devout Roman Catholic Jeb. I can see it all now!

But where will the Democrat nominee come from in the next election? That I don't see. John Edwards has failed twice in a row, first as Kerry's running mate and second in trying to get the latest nomination, so he's likely out. Hilary to run again? I'd be surprised at that, especially if she loses badly to Obama this time round. Obama? Maybe. A little more experience and exposure could do him well in the interim years. Al Gore? If he wants it then I suppose he'd at least be in a position to stand for it. The Clintons would likely be out of the way and he's already being touted as the power broker between Obama and Hilary. In saying that, he does appear to be enjoying his new found eco-warrior status so who knows?

Either way, McCain will win the next election. He's a more moderate Republican and will appeal to a wider audience with his 'bipartisan' approach. Oops, nearly forgot, there is always Nader! Now, where's my cheque book?

No comments: